Patriots release Aaron Hernandez after arrest
|06.26.13 at 10:28 am ET|
The Patriots announced Wednesday morning, shortly after Aaron Hernandez was arrested at his North Attleboro home, that they have released the tight end.
The statement reads:
“A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation. We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.”
Hernandez played three seasons in New England after being selected in the fourth round of the 2010 draft out of Florida. The Connecticut native signed a seven-year, $41 million contract before last season.
Hernandez finishes his Patriots career with 175 receptions for 1,956 yards and 18 touchdowns in 38 games. His best season was 2011, when he made 79 catches for 910 yards and seven touchdowns in 14 games.
The NFL released a statement later in the morning, reading:
“The involvement of an NFL player in a case of this nature is deeply troubling. The Patriots have released Aaron Hernandez, who will have his day in court. At the same time, we should not forget the young man who was the victim in this case and take this opportunity to extend our deepest sympathy to Odin Lloyd‘s family and friends.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL