Tim Tebow linked to Aaron Hernandez incident at Florida
|07.02.13 at 2:00 pm ET|
A violent incident involving Aaron Hernandez in 2007 was made public Tuesday courtesy of a report in The Wall Street Journal. The paper unearthed a police report to reveal that Hernandez, then a 17-year-old Florida freshman, punched a restaurant employee and left the man with a burst right eardrum following a dispute over a bill for two alcoholic drinks at the restaurant near the Florida campus in Gainesville.
More details emerged later Tuesday, and it places Tim Tebow at the scene.
Via the Orlando Sentinel, Tebow and another Florida player, Shaun Young, were interviewed by police when Hernandez initially could not be located.
“Tebow stated that he witnessed the dispute,” the officer wrote, adding: “Tebow stated that he went over to try to help resolve the conflict.”
Tebow told police that he urged Hernandez to leave peacefully and tried to make arrangements to pay the bill.
When Hernandez turned up two hours later, Tebow was present for his interview. Both players told police that they had called coach Urban Meyer to let him know about the incident.
The investigating officer told Hernandez’s attorney the next day that he would not be pursuing charges in connection with alcohol being served to minors at the restaurant, but he wrote that “it would be noted in the report so the coaches could handle it internally.”
Gainesville police recommended that Hernandez be charged with a felony. Because Hernandez was a minor, the records were sealed and it’s not clear how the case was resolved.
Tebow and Hernandez were said to be very close during their early years at Florida. They were reunited briefly this offseason with the Patriots until Hernandez was released last week following his arrest in the murder of semipro football player Odin Lloyd.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know