Patriots DB Alfonzo Dennard arrested in Nebraska for DUI
|07.11.13 at 7:59 am ET|
Patriots defensive back Alfonzo Dennard was arrested early Thursday morning in Lincoln, Neb., for driving under the influence, according to reports out of Nebraska.
Dennard, who in February was sentenced to 30 days in jail (to be served next March), 24 months probation and 100 hours of community service for assaulting a police officer outside a bar in Nebraska last year, was pulled over for straddling lane lines, police said. He then refused a chemical test and was arrested. He has a court date of Aug. 12.
Dennard, a former University of Nebraska star, was found guilty in February of assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest, stemming from an incident that happened April 21, 2012, days before he was drafted by the Patriots in the seventh round.
Dennard, 23, missed the first four games last season with a hamstring injury but came back to start seven regular-season games, finishing with 35 tackles (34 solo) and three interceptions with 95 return yards. He also started both of the team’s playoff games.
UPDATE: The Patriots released a statement late Thursday morning that reads:
“The New England Patriots are extremely disappointed to learn of Alfonzo Dennard’s arrest. We take this matter very seriously and are working to get more information on the incident.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick