Patriots DB Alfonzo Dennard arrested in Nebraska for DUI
|07.11.13 at 7:59 am ET|
Patriots defensive back Alfonzo Dennard was arrested early Thursday morning in Lincoln, Neb., for driving under the influence, according to reports out of Nebraska.
Dennard, who in February was sentenced to 30 days in jail (to be served next March), 24 months probation and 100 hours of community service for assaulting a police officer outside a bar in Nebraska last year, was pulled over for straddling lane lines, police said. He then refused a chemical test and was arrested. He has a court date of Aug. 12.
Dennard, a former University of Nebraska star, was found guilty in February of assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest, stemming from an incident that happened April 21, 2012, days before he was drafted by the Patriots in the seventh round.
Dennard, 23, missed the first four games last season with a hamstring injury but came back to start seven regular-season games, finishing with 35 tackles (34 solo) and three interceptions with 95 return yards. He also started both of the team’s playoff games.
UPDATE: The Patriots released a statement late Thursday morning that reads:
“The New England Patriots are extremely disappointed to learn of Alfonzo Dennard’s arrest. We take this matter very seriously and are working to get more information on the incident.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return