Patriots DB Alfonzo Dennard arrested in Nebraska for DUI
|07.11.13 at 7:59 am ET|
Patriots defensive back Alfonzo Dennard was arrested early Thursday morning in Lincoln, Neb., for driving under the influence, according to reports out of Nebraska.
Dennard, who in February was sentenced to 30 days in jail (to be served next March), 24 months probation and 100 hours of community service for assaulting a police officer outside a bar in Nebraska last year, was pulled over for straddling lane lines, police said. He then refused a chemical test and was arrested. He has a court date of Aug. 12.
Dennard, a former University of Nebraska star, was found guilty in February of assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest, stemming from an incident that happened April 21, 2012, days before he was drafted by the Patriots in the seventh round.
Dennard, 23, missed the first four games last season with a hamstring injury but came back to start seven regular-season games, finishing with 35 tackles (34 solo) and three interceptions with 95 return yards. He also started both of the team’s playoff games.
UPDATE: The Patriots released a statement late Thursday morning that reads:
“The New England Patriots are extremely disappointed to learn of Alfonzo Dennard’s arrest. We take this matter very seriously and are working to get more information on the incident.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Patriots OT Sebastian Vollmer Injury
- Latest Updates on Tom Brady's Thumb Injury
- Malcolm Mitchell Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Elbow
- Tom Brady Comments on Suspension, Decision to Drop Deflategate Appeal
- Latest Updates on Bryan Stork's Concussion
- Gronk Is Too Good to Be NFL's Highest-Paid TE
- Rob Gronkowski Contract: Latest News, Rumors on TE's Negotiations with...