Pats pass on DT John Drew, opt to sign DL Anthony Rashad White instead
|07.22.13 at 6:10 pm ET|
After it sounded like they were locked in on an agreement, the Patriots reversed course on John Drew Monday, deciding to take a pass on the defensive tackle after the two sides had come to an agreement. Instead, on Monday evening, they announced they had signed rookie defensive lineman Anthony Rashad White.
White, 23, was originally signed by Pittsburgh as a rookie free agent out of Michigan State on April 27, 2013 but was released by the Steelers on May 14. The 6-foot-2, 330-pounder, was a three-year letter winner as a nose tackle, seeing action in 39 games with 16 starts and accumulating 65 total tackles. He began his college career at Fort Scott (Kan.) Community College in 2009 before transferring to Michigan State for the 2010 season. White was a starter for his final two seasons.
In addition, according to reports, the Patriots were set to work out wide receiver Laurent Robinson Tuesday. Robinson had some positional versatility, which would make him attractive to New England.
The 28-year-old out of Illinois State has played for four teams in his six seasons in the league, and his best year came in 2011 with the Cowboys when he caught 54 passes for 858 yards and 11 touchdowns. But after signing a five-year $32.5 million deal last offseason with the Jags, he was cut after suffering a series of concussions.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England