Alfonzo Dennard: I’m focused on football right now
|07.26.13 at 12:53 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Despite his recent arrest for suspicion of driving under the influence and with more potential punishment looming as a result, Alfonzo Dennard said Friday he’s “focused on football” right now.
In his first public comments since his July 11 arrest, the cornerback said “it feels great” to be back on the field and with his teammates.
“It’s a great opportunity to go out here with my team and I enjoy it,” he said after the first training camp session of the summer for the Patriots. “I’m just happy to be back on the field. This is a great opportunity.
“I’m focused on football right now.”
Despite the fact that Dennard faces an Aug. 27 hearing, he said his only concern at this point is the present, and trying to keep distractions to a minimum.
“I’m just worried about the present right now. And the present right now is just about being on the football field and trying to help my team win and do as much as I can,” he said.
He added that his teammates are helping him stay focused.
“Just being around the guys,” he said. “They bring a lot of focus into my heart. Just try to stay humble and go out here and have as much fun as I can.”
The incident was the second brush with the law in 15 months for Dennard, who was arrested in the days prior to the 2012 draft for punching a police officer. In the wake of that incident, Patriots coach Bill Belichick wrote a letter on his behalf, and Dennard received probation. Belichick indicated in a Friday morning press conference that Dennard would be treated like a part of the team, at least for now.
When asked if he felt that he had let his coach down following the second arrest, the defensive back said, “I’m still on the team right now, so that’s what I’m worried about right now.”
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL