Patriots release Perez Ashford, Lavelle Hawkins, Nick McDonald
|07.31.13 at 6:50 pm ET|
The Patriots announced Wednesday that they released rookie wide receiver Perez Ashford, veteran wide receiver Lavelle Hawkins and offensive lineman Nick McDonald.
Ashford, 22, was signed by the Patriots on July 19. He was originally signed by the Browns as a rookie free agent out of Northern Illinois on April 30 but was released by the Browns on May 30. The 5-foot-11, 182-pounder played in 48 games during his four collegiate seasons and finished with 110 receptions for 1,192 yards.
Hawkins, 27, was signed by the Patriots as a free agent on May 9. The 5-foot-11, 195-pounder is a veteran of five NFL seasons with the Titans (2008-12) after originally entering the NFL as a fourth-round draft pick (126th overall) of Tennessee out of California. Hawkins has played in 52 NFL games with four starts and has 71 receptions for 771 yards and one touchdown. He was released by Tennessee on May 1.
McDonald, 26, is a veteran of three NFL seasons, including two with the Patriots. The 6-foot-4, 305-pounder originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with Green Bay out of Grand Valley State in 2010. He made the Packers‘ 53-man roster as a rookie but was inactive for all 16 regular-season games as well Green Bay’s postseason run to the Super Bowl. He originally joined the New England practice squad on Sept, 5, 2011, after being released by Green Bay following training camp. McDonald joined the New England 53-man roster in December of 2011 and played in four games with two starts at center. Last season, McDonald played in 12 games with one start at right guard.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...
- Martellus Bennett, Chris Hogan, James White Post-Week 5 Fantasy Advice
- Patriots vs. Browns: Full Report Card Grades for New England