Patriots sign a pair of OL, release Travis Chappelear, Mike Zupancic
|08.02.13 at 2:35 pm ET|
FOXBORO — In an effort to bolster the depth of their offensive line with their first preseason game just a week away, the Patriots signed a pair of first-year offensive linemen on Friday.
The team inked OL Luke Patterson and rookie OL Brice Schwab to contracts while releasing rookie defensive lineman Travis Chappelear and rookie long snapper Mike Zupancic. Chappelear was released just one day after the Patriots signed him.
Dan Connolly and Marcus Cannon were not spotted on Thursday and Friday’s move appears to be a move to add depth to the back end of the roster.
Patterson, 25, was originally signed by Kansas City as rookie free agent out of Texas A&M on July 27, 2011. The 6-foot-4, 295-pounder, spent parts of the last two seasons on the Chiefs’ practice squad. Patterson was a defensive lineman during his college career.
Schwab, 23, was originally signed by Tampa Bay as a rookie free agent on April 29, 2013, and was released by the Buccaneers on July 31, 2013. The 6-foot-7, 302-pounder, began his college career at Palomar Community College in 2009 before transferring to Arizona State in 2010. He started in 17 of 22 games that he played as a Sun Devil at right tackle.
Chappelear, 24, was originally signed by Cincinnati as a rookie free agent on April 30, 2013, out of Northwest Missouri State but was released by the Bengals on May 13, 2013. The 6-foot-5, 263-pounder, began his college career at Missouri Valley College and then at Missouri State for two seasons. After sitting out the 2010 season, he walked on at Northwest Missouri State for the 2011 and 2012 seasons. Last year, he registered 63 total tackles, 1½ sacks and two blocked kicks.
Zupancic, 23, originally joined New England as a rookie free agent out of Eastern Michigan on May 3, 2013. The 6-foot-5, 260-pounder, earned three letters as the team’s long snapper.
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...