Aaron Hernandez update: NFLPA reportedly will file grievance over bonus money
|08.20.13 at 11:33 am ET|
The Patriots released Aaron Hernandez after he was arrested and charged with murder, but they might still have some money left to pay him.
That is because the NFL Players Association is expected to file a grievance because the Patriots did not pay Hernandez an $82,000 workout bonus that was scheduled to be paid on Aug. 1, according to a report from Fox Sports writer Mike Garafolo.
Hernandez satisfied the requirements to receive the bonus by participating in the Patriots’ offseason workout program this spring. However, the Patriots did not pay Hernandez his check when it was due this month, according to the report.
This could be just the beginning in a battle between the NFLPA and the Patriots, as Hernandez is owed a $3.25 million payment in March — which is the final piece of a $12.5 million signing bonus he was set to receive after signing a contract extension last summer. According the collective bargaining agreement, the Patriots forfeited the right to recoup future signing bonus money when they released him in June.
The battle for Hernandez’s expected $3.332 million will be decided by an arbitrator’s decision — a process that will start soon.
• Meanwhile, the gun used in a 2012 double homicide in Boston that is allegedly connected to Hernandez was found in Springfield, according to a report from CBS 3 Springfield.
The weapon was found in the car of Jailene Diaz-Ramos, a 19-year-old from Briston, Conn., after she was involved in an accident in June. It is unclear whether or not Diaz-Ramos is connected with Hernandez, but she told police the gun was among belongings left in her car after she gave a ride to some “football players” whose names she didn’t know, according to court documents.
The report also said that Diaz-Ramos told police the gun belonged to a friend, who she would only refer to as “Chicago.”
Ballistics tests show the gun is the same one used in 2012, when Daniel Abreu and Safiro Furtado were fatally shot outside a Boston club, according to the the CBS 3 report. Police also are reportedly waiting on a search warrant for a safe that was found in the trunk of Diaz-Ramos’s car.
• Another letter from Hernandez was leaked to the press Monday, when a letter from Hernandez addressed to “Collin” appeared on RadarOnline.com. It is the third letter from him to be released since Hernandez has been in jail.
Hernandez said in the letter that his “biggest fear” is that his daughter won’t “know daddy,” also adding that she said “DaDa” for the first time to him in jail.
He adds that he is a “great dude” in the postscript, and ended the letter by telling “Collin” to keep it private.
- In the Mind of Destruction
- Patriots vs. Browns Final Score: Gronkowski Injured in Dramatic 27-26...
- Halftime: Patriots Struggle Again in 1st Half, Trail Browns 6-0
- Week 14 Game Thread: Patriots vs. Browns
- Patriots vs. Browns: Thompkins, Hoomanawanui Both Inactive
- Belichick on Ridley, Faulk, and Ozzie Newsome
- The Best Around