Tom Brady takes a beating, proves to be human
|08.22.13 at 9:59 pm ET|
If Thursday was supposed to be a dress rehearsal for the regular season, Tom Brady and the offensive line looked not ready for prime time.
The Patriots did commit four turnovers in the first half, including fumbles by Zach Sudfeld, Brandon Bolden and Shane Vereen.
But even more troubling for the Patriots Thursday night on the Ford Field turf was how Brady was knocked around. Brady was sacked twice and hit four times, including once at the end of the first quarter that caused a cut on his left hand.
Brady finished the night 16-for-24 for 185 yards, one interception, two sacks and a preseason low 72.4 quarterback rating. He had come into the game 18-for-20 for 172 yards and two touchdowns and no interceptions. He had a 135.8 rating in two preseason wins over Philadelphia and Tampa Bay.
How bad was it for Brady? Two of his completions resulted in turnovers. His 20-yard pass over the middle to Sudfeld took the ball down the Lions’ 10. But Sudfeld was hit hard by Glover Quin and fumbled, resulting in the first turnover. On New England’s third possession, Brady threw a simple pass in the right flat to Bolden and he fumbled at the Patriots’ 12.
On his interception in the second quarter, Brady threw a timing slant pattern. He was targeting Aaron Dobson but Dobson ran into traffic off the line of scrimmage and never got to the spot. Instead, Chris Houston stepped into the vacant spot and picked off Brady.
The way he was hit may or may not have factored in putting Brady in harm’s way to start the second half, as Bill Belichick had indicated was a possibility earlier in the week. What he saw in the first half may have changed his thinking drastically.
The Patriots were very fortunate to only be down 16-3 at halftime as the Patriots’ red zone defense held the Lions to three field goals and one touchdown. The Lions were only able to convert the four turnovers into 13 points.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick