Danny Amendola returns to Patriots practice and a good sign for Rob Gronkowski
|08.26.13 at 2:23 pm ET|
Amendola missed all of last week, including the preseason loss in Detroit due to an unspecified injury while Cunningham has been out for the last several practices.
The return of Amendola to full pads practice is a good sign that he will be ready to play in this Thursday’s preseason finale against the Giants at Gillette Stadium and should be a full-go for the season opener on Sept. 8 in Buffalo.
Amendola was struck in the back of the helmet in the first half of the team’s win over the Buccaneers on Aug. 16 but returned to the game. Several reports indicated that was not the reason for Amendola being held out of practice and the game last week.
On the lower practice field, Rob Gronkowski worked alone on several agility drills with cones in shorts with trainers while WR Mark Harrison and DL Armond Armstead (both on Reserve/NFI) also worked with trainers in shorts and sweats.
The fact that Gronkowski was running and working on agility drills was not news since he’s been doing that for a couple of weeks in training camp. The fact that he was spotted working aggressively in the open by media may be an indication that they are at least thinking of activating him off the PUP by Saturday’s deadline so that he does not have to sit out the first six weeks of the season.
As is the case with the PUP list for Gronkowski, if Harrison and Armstead begin the season on the non-football injury list, they will not be eligible to play in the first six weeks of the season.
DB Alfonzo Dennard and Cunningham were in full pads and also working with training staff on the lower field before practice began.
After Monday’s full pads practice, the team will practice again on Tuesday, hold a walkthrough Wednesday and then play the Giants on Thursday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned