Robert Kraft on Tim Tebow: Pats must ‘have the best 53 people to help us win games’
|08.27.13 at 7:03 pm ET|
FOXBORO – Patriots owner Robert Kraft is pulling for Tim Tebow to make the 53-man roster to start the season.
He made that much clear when he said Tuesday before “Patriots Premiere” kickoff gala at Gillette Stadium that he is “rooting” for the third-string quarterback. But what he added Tuesday was that Tebow won’t be cut any breaks by the owner or head coach Bill Belichick, who will have the final say.
“I’m rooting for him big time,” Kraft said. “I’m in his corner, but I have the privilege of letting Bill make those decisions. He has a pretty good record doing it.”
Tebow survived the cut-down to 75 players on Tuesday but will he last when the final 53-man cut is made by Saturday at 6 p.m.? Tebow has not impressed in the preseason. He is just 5-for-19 for 54 yards, one interception and a 17.6 QB rating. Kraft was asked if there’s a spot on the roster for Tebow based on his character and work ethic alone.
“Week to week [in the regular season] you’re going to ask the questions, if we don’t perform up to standard, why we didn’t [perform],” Kraft added. “I think you want to make sure we have the best 53 people to help us win games during the year.”
The Patriots haven’t carried three quarterbacks since 2010, when Ryan Mallett was a rookie. Kraft acknowledged the fact they have been lucky so far to avoid the troubles of the Jets and Bills, both of whom have lost their projected starting quarterback to injury during the preseason and may have to start second and third-string quarterbacks to start the season.
“If you look around the league and see what’s happening to two of the teams in our division, I just give thanks to the position we’re in,” Kraft added.
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Deatrich Wise Jr NFL Draft 2017: Scouting Report for New England...
- Brandin Cooks' Contract Option Reportedly Exercised by Patriots
- Derek Rivers Becomes 1st Player Drafted by Super Bowl Champion Patriots...
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...