Robert Kraft on Tim Tebow: Pats must ‘have the best 53 people to help us win games’
|08.27.13 at 7:03 pm ET|
FOXBORO – Patriots owner Robert Kraft is pulling for Tim Tebow to make the 53-man roster to start the season.
He made that much clear when he said Tuesday before “Patriots Premiere” kickoff gala at Gillette Stadium that he is “rooting” for the third-string quarterback. But what he added Tuesday was that Tebow won’t be cut any breaks by the owner or head coach Bill Belichick, who will have the final say.
“I’m rooting for him big time,” Kraft said. “I’m in his corner, but I have the privilege of letting Bill make those decisions. He has a pretty good record doing it.”
Tebow survived the cut-down to 75 players on Tuesday but will he last when the final 53-man cut is made by Saturday at 6 p.m.? Tebow has not impressed in the preseason. He is just 5-for-19 for 54 yards, one interception and a 17.6 QB rating. Kraft was asked if there’s a spot on the roster for Tebow based on his character and work ethic alone.
“Week to week [in the regular season] you’re going to ask the questions, if we don’t perform up to standard, why we didn’t [perform],” Kraft added. “I think you want to make sure we have the best 53 people to help us win games during the year.”
The Patriots haven’t carried three quarterbacks since 2010, when Ryan Mallett was a rookie. Kraft acknowledged the fact they have been lucky so far to avoid the troubles of the Jets and Bills, both of whom have lost their projected starting quarterback to injury during the preseason and may have to start second and third-string quarterbacks to start the season.
“If you look around the league and see what’s happening to two of the teams in our division, I just give thanks to the position we’re in,” Kraft added.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...