Jonathan Kraft rips into ‘factually inaccurate’ Rolling Stone story on Aaron Hernandez
|08.29.13 at 8:38 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Patriots president Jonathan Kraft isn’t going to let a national publication roll all over his organization.
He made that much perfectly clear Thursday when he responded to the Aaron Hernandez story in the latest issue of the Rolling Stone.
The Patriots’ team president went on the Patriots radio network pregame show before Thursday’s preseason finale with the Giants and gave his thoughts on the way the organization was portrayed in the lengthy 8,000-word Hernandez expose.
“There were two, three or four things that are completely factually inaccurate,” Kraft said.
Kraft denied the allegation that Hernandez confessed to Belichick that his life was in danger. He also refuted that Bill Belichick responded by telling him to “lay low” and rent a safe house. Kraft said he spoke with Belichick and asked him about the charge.
“Absolutely not. Aaron never told me his life was in danger,” Belichick said, according to Kraft.
Kraft said Belichick never threatened to cut Hernandez, adding “he would never threaten to cut a player one year after an extension.”
As for Mark Briggs replacing Frank Mendes as the team’s head of security, Kraft said that decision is not in Belichick’s domain and not his decision.
[Read Mike Petraglia’s column on the Patriots, Rolling Stone and Aaron Hernandez]
Kraft also said he cancelled his longtime Rolling Stone subscription after the magazine put the Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on its cover earlier this summer.
As for the NFLPA grievance filed against the Patriots this week, looking for $82,000 in workout bonuses it claims the player is owne, Kraft said Hernandez participated in just 25 of 33 offseason workouts, less than the 90 percent required in his contact for the money to be paid.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England