Reports: Tom Brady likely to sit out against Giants
|08.29.13 at 6:05 pm ET|
FOXBORO — It appears Tom Brady has played his last game of the preseason.
According to the Boston Herald and ESPNBoston.com, Brady will not play against the Giants in Thursday’s preseason finale. Brady would finish the preseason completing 34-of-44 passes for 357 yards, two touchdowns and one interception and a quarterback rating of 106.0 in three games. His next game would be the season opener on Sept. 8 in Buffalo.
An indication that this indeed would be the case was the unusual sight of Brady coming out for early stretch just under two hours before the 7:30 p.m. kickoff. Brady did come out and warm up in full uniform about an hour before the game and threw passes to Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman.
ESPNBoston.com, quoting a league source, reports that many regulars will also dress but not play.
This is hardly uncommon for Brady, who has played only four of 11 preseason finales since becoming the Patriots’ full-time starter in 2001.
With Brady likely out, the focus shifts to Ryan Mallett, expected to get the start. There could be even more spotlight on backup Tim Tebow. Tebow figures to be fighting for the last of 53 spots on the roster come Saturday night at the NFL cut deadline of 6 p.m. ET. Mallett has looked good for the most part in three preseason games, completing 32-of-60 passes for 330 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. He has an 80.6 QB rating. Tebow, on the other hand, has not. He is 5-for-19 for 54 yards, one interception and a 17.7 rating.
As for the Giants, head coach Tom Coughlin said earlier this week his starters will play just 12-15 snaps.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...
- Martellus Bennett, Chris Hogan, James White Post-Week 5 Fantasy Advice
- Patriots vs. Browns: Full Report Card Grades for New England