Reports: Patriots cut Jake Ballard, Daniel Fells
|08.30.13 at 1:12 pm ET|
According to multiple reports Friday afternoon, the Patriots have released tight ends Jake Ballard and Daniel Fells.
The move likely means the Patriots plan to keep Zach Sudfeld and Michael Hoomanawanui and activate Rob Gronkowski from the PUP list.
Ballard never played a down for the Patriots in a regular-season game. He tore his ACL while playing for the Giants against the Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI and was claimed by the Patriots last offseason despite needing a year to recuperate.
Fells signed a three-year deal with the Patriots last offseason. He played in 13 games in 2012, recording four catches for 85 yards.
Sudfeld, an undrafted rookie from Nevada, had three catches for 36 yards in Thursday’s preseason finale. However, he also lost a fumble.
Hoomanawanui signed with the Patriots on Sept. 5, 2012, after two years with the Rams. In 14 games last season he had five catches for 109 yards.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez's Fiancee Testifies in Double Homicide Trial
- Predicting New England Patriots' 2017 Starters After 1st Wave of Free...
- Joe Mixon Reportedly Removed from Patriots' Draft Board Due to Assault...
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...