Reports: Patriots cut Jake Ballard, Daniel Fells
|08.30.13 at 1:12 pm ET|
According to multiple reports Friday afternoon, the Patriots have released tight ends Jake Ballard and Daniel Fells.
The move likely means the Patriots plan to keep Zach Sudfeld and Michael Hoomanawanui and activate Rob Gronkowski from the PUP list.
Ballard never played a down for the Patriots in a regular-season game. He tore his ACL while playing for the Giants against the Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI and was claimed by the Patriots last offseason despite needing a year to recuperate.
Fells signed a three-year deal with the Patriots last offseason. He played in 13 games in 2012, recording four catches for 85 yards.
Sudfeld, an undrafted rookie from Nevada, had three catches for 36 yards in Thursday’s preseason finale. However, he also lost a fumble.
Hoomanawanui signed with the Patriots on Sept. 5, 2012, after two years with the Rams. In 14 games last season he had five catches for 109 yards.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Week 4 Proves Why Pats Are Still in Driver's Seat
- Patriots Favored over Cowboys in Marquee Matchup
- Pros, Cons of Patriots' Offensive Line Shuffling
- What's the Secret to Lewis' Sudden Stardom?
- Blount and Lewis Are Perfect 1-2 Punch in Pats Backfield
- Adjustments Patriots Must Make After Bye Week
- Where Does Brady's Hot Start Rank?