Reports: Patriots cut Jake Ballard, Daniel Fells
|08.30.13 at 1:12 pm ET|
According to multiple reports Friday afternoon, the Patriots have released tight ends Jake Ballard and Daniel Fells.
The move likely means the Patriots plan to keep Zach Sudfeld and Michael Hoomanawanui and activate Rob Gronkowski from the PUP list.
Ballard never played a down for the Patriots in a regular-season game. He tore his ACL while playing for the Giants against the Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI and was claimed by the Patriots last offseason despite needing a year to recuperate.
Fells signed a three-year deal with the Patriots last offseason. He played in 13 games in 2012, recording four catches for 85 yards.
Sudfeld, an undrafted rookie from Nevada, had three catches for 36 yards in Thursday’s preseason finale. However, he also lost a fumble.
Hoomanawanui signed with the Patriots on Sept. 5, 2012, after two years with the Rams. In 14 games last season he had five catches for 109 yards.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England