Patriots claim defensive tackle A.J. Francis
|09.01.13 at 2:07 pm ET|
Defensive tackle A.J. Francis was been claimed by the Patriots.
I was literally on my way to Special Teams meetings when Mr. Ireland stopped me and told me I was claimed by the @Patriots …Still shocked.
— A.J. Francis (@AJFrancis410) September 1, 2013
A 6-foot-5, 316-pounder out of Maryland who was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Dolphins this spring, Francis earned all-ACC honorable mention in 2012, and was a four-year starter for the Terps.
Francis, who was named to SI’s “Twitter 100″ for his always interesting account, figures to be able to offer some depth behind starting defensive tackles Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly — after the series of cuts the Patriots made on Saturday, they were left with only rookie Joe Vellano as a backup DT.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Surgery
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL
- Twitter Reacts to Brady's Denied Appeal