Patriots waive goodbye to Leon Washington
|09.01.13 at 3:37 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The Leon Washington era in New England is over before it even really started. Washington was not spotted at practice on Sunday and he was made expendable as the Patriots chose to keep Brandon Bolden, LeGarrette Blount, Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley.
The 31-year-old Washington was projected as the Patriots’ top returner in the punt game. That responsibility is likely to fall to Julian Edelman.
The Patriots signed Washington on March 14 as a special teams returner and potential third-down back. This preseason, in four games, Washington had five carries for 22 yards and three catches 35 yards in the preseason. On special teams, Washington returned 10 punts for 75 yards, including a 43-yarder. On kickoffs, he returned three kicks for 66 yards and a 22.0 average.
‘ Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73) September 1, 2013
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...