Bill Belichick says he has no ‘crystal ball’ on Rob Gronkowski
|09.02.13 at 1:53 pm ET|
FOXBORO — In a bit of a surprise, Rob Gronkowski made his return this week to the practice field and was taken off PUP on Saturday.
To no one’s surprise, Bill Belichick isn’t reading into that as a sure sign of anything this week, including whether or not he would be ready to play Sunday in the season opener at Buffalo.
Belichick acknowledged that his return to the practice field in pads on Sunday and shorts and shells Monday was a good first step but not much more.
“Yeah, this is his first opportunity to be in pads so he’s definitely moving forward,” Belichick said. “He’s day to day.
Asked if he has any chance of playing Sunday, Belichick repeated, “he’s day to day.”
Shot on Sunday
What does he need to see from him as the tight end progresses?
“We take it day to day, evaluate tomorrow based on how today goes,” Belichick said. “See how it goes. See how tomorrow goes and deal with the [next] day. We’ll take it day to day. Same way we do it with everybody.”
Were the last few days significant?
“No, just the next step,” Belichick said. “We evaluate any player coming back from injury as day-to-day. That’s what we do with every player. We evaluate each player day to day and then we look at his situation the next day. If he’s improved and able to move ahead then we move him ahead. If not, then we keep him where he is or sometimes we have to step back a little bit and then move ahead. It just depends on each individual player, his situation and what his progress is.
“There’s no straight-line formula for that. We take it day to day. I don’t know any other way to do. We don’t know how he’s going to be feeling in two days or any other player. It’s not about him, it’s about any player coming back from injury. That’s how we do it. Nobody has a crystal ball.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video