Patriots re-sign Marquice Cole, release OL Josh Kline
|09.02.13 at 10:02 am ET|
FOXBORO — Less than 24 hours after releasing him to make room on the 53-man roster for four players signed off waivers, the Patriots re-signed cornerback Marquice Cole Monday morning.
To make room, the team waived undrafted rookie offensive guard Josh Kline.
Cole, 29, is a veteran of four NFL seasons with the Jets (2009-11) and Patriots (2012). The 5-foot-10, 195-pounder joined New England as a free agent on March 19, 2012, and was re-signed by the team on March 20, 2013. He played in 14 games with one start last season and finished with 12 total tackles, one interception, three passes defensed and seven special teams tackles. He played in both postseason games and added four defensive tackles and four special teams tackle.
Cole originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with the Raiders out of Northwestern in 2007. He spent the end of the 2007 season on the Titans’ practice squad and part of the 2008 season on the practice squad of the Saints. Cole began the 2009 season on the practice squad of the Jets before joining the 53-man roster early in September. Cole has played in 51 NFL games with two starts and has registered 26 defensive tackles, three interceptions with one returned for a touchdown and 43 special teams tackles.
Kline, 23, joined the Patriots as a rookie free agent out of Kent State on May 3. The 6-foot-3, 295-pounder saw action at right guard, right tackle and on special teams during his college career at Kent State. He earned second-team All-MAC honors as a senior in 2012.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL