Robert Kraft on Tim Tebow: ‘Who’s to say he won’t get his opportunity?’
|09.03.13 at 9:44 am ET|
Patriots owner Robert Kraft, during a Tuesday appearance on “CBS This Morning” to promote the start of the NFL season, continued to rave about recently released backup quarterback Tim Tebow and added to speculation that the Patriots will consider bringing him back at some point this season.
“Who’s to say he won’t get his opportunity?” Kraft said. “To have a guy like that in the locker room, the kind of person he is, the way he conducts himself ‘¦ I’d love to be his agent.”
Asked about the Aaron Hernandez situation, Kraft said: “That’s one of the saddest things that happened in my tenure of ownership. I think we’ve said a lot on the issue. Everything I ever saw about him was first-class in the building. It’s a very sad thing, and it’s something that I’ve said everything I’m going to say about it.”
Kraft also touched on the controversy about one of his Super Bowl rings, which is in the possession of Russian President Vladimir Putin, on display in the Kremlin. Kraft has said he was showing it to Putin during a 2005 trip to Russia, and Putin put it in his pocket and walked off with it. When Kraft recounted the story at an awards show in June, a Putin spokesman insisted it was a gift and that Putin would make a new ring for Kraft. The Patriots owner said he would welcome that gesture.
“I had the great opportunity when my friend Sandy Weill and I were in St. Petersburg to show him the ring, and it worked out that I gave it to him as a present,” Kraft said. “And you know, I understand that he has said he’s making a ring for me, and I’d like to invite him right here to come and present it to me at a CBS-presented game.”
Kraft avoided a follow-up question from host Norah O’Donnell about whether he was pressured by the White House to say the ring was a gift in an effort to avoid causing friction in U.S.-Russian relations.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...