Bills name EJ Manuel as starting QB
|09.04.13 at 9:17 am ET|
The Bills named rookie EJ Manuel as their starting quarterback for Sunday’s regular-season opener against the Patriots on Wednesday. New Bills head coach Doug Marrone made the announcement Wednesday morning.
“If EJ Manuel wasn’t ready to go, Jeff Tuel would be the quarterback and that’s how we were going about our business,” Marrone said. “I’ve said publicly before that we had the time frame of if he was able to come back and get him ready and then we’d make the decision. Then obviously through the rehabilitation period that time moved up. I don’t think this shocks anyone about EJ being our starting quarterback.”
Manuel, a Florida State product taken in the first round of the 2013 draft, had minor knee surgery earlier this summer and has been out for the bulk of the preseason, but appears to be set to go for Buffalo. He’ll become the 13th first-round quarterback since the 2000 draft to start Kickoff Weekend
In his four seasons with FSU, the 6-foot-5, 240-pound Manuel completed 67 percent of his passes for 7,741 yards and 47 touchdowns. In addition, he carried the ball 298 times for 827 yards and 11 touchdowns.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...
- Martellus Bennett, Chris Hogan, James White Post-Week 5 Fantasy Advice
- Patriots vs. Browns: Full Report Card Grades for New England