Sebastian Vollmer on M&M: ‘We know we didn’t play well enough’
|09.09.13 at 12:35 pm ET|
Patriots offensive lineman Sebastian Vollmer appeared on Mut & Merloni on Monday and acknowledged that his team hardly played its best football in Sunday’s 23-21 win over the Bills.
‘We know we didn’t play well enough,’ Vollmer said. ‘We’ve got some fixing to do and adjustments to do. [We’ll] watch some film and start working on it today.’
A sloppy afternoon from a usually crisp offense was highlighted by running back Stevan Ridley‘s fumble that was returned for a Buffalo touchdown. Ridley subsequently was benched.
Vollmer harbored no resentment toward Ridley for his error.
‘If you make a mistake, we’re all professionals, we all know what we did wrong and what happened and no one does it on purpose,” Vollmer said. “Any player that makes a mistake feels bad about it.”
Despite the poor play on the offensive side, the Patriots were able to put together a game-winning drive on the road behind Tom Brady. Trailing by one point with 4:31 remaining, Brady orchestrated a 12-play, 48-yard drive that set up a 35-yard, game-winning field goal by Stephen Gostkowski with five seconds remaining.
Vollmer, now a fifth-year mainstay on the line, has seen drives akin to that a number of times, with Brady being vocal and emotional.
‘He’s done this for a long, long time now, and he lives for these moments,’ Vollmer said of Brady. ‘Once again, he pulled it out — or, we pulled it out.
‘Obviously when it’s a close game, you have maybe one or two possessions left, you can’t afford any more mistakes and you’ve just got to pull it out somehow, and just make sure everyone is on the same page, and everyone is ready to go and concentrating on what comes next.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned