Patriots put running back Shane Vereen on IR, re-sign tight end Matthew Mulligan
|09.10.13 at 4:37 pm ET|
The Patriots announced Tuesday they have placed running back Shane Vereen on injured reserve with a designation to return, meaning he’s eligible to return to practice after Week 7 and play after Week 9. Vereen suffered a wrist injury in Sunday’s season opener against the Bills.
The team also re-signed tight end Matthew Mulligan to replace Vereen on the 53-man roster. In addition, the Patriots re-signed defensive lineman A.J. Francis to the practice squad and released wide receiver Quentin Sims from the practice squad.
Mulligan, 28, was signed by the Patriots on Sept. 3, and released on Sept. 5. The 6-foot-4, 267-pounder is a veteran of four NFL seasons with the Jets (2009-11) and the St. Louis Rams (2012). He went to training camp this past summer with Green Bay after signing with the Packers in April but was released on Aug. 31. Mulligan has played in 50 NFL games with 20 starts and has 14 receptions for 144 yards and one touchdown.
Francis, 23, was claimed by the Patriots off waivers from Miami on Sept 1, and was released on Sept. 7. He was originally signed by the Miami Dolphins as a rookie free agent out of Maryland on May 3, 2013. The 6-foot, 316-pounder was released by Miami on Aug. 31. He was a four-year letterman at Maryland and recorded 149 total tackles, 9½ sacks and three blocked kicks.
Sims, 23, originally joined the Patriots as a rookie free agent out of Tennessee-Martin on July 19. The 6-foot-3, 202-pounder was released on Aug. 31, and signed to the practice squad on Sept. 2. He played two seasons at Georgia Tech (2009-10) before transferring to Tennessee-Martin in 2011. Sims had 86 receptions for 1,092 yards and 16 touchdowns last season.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez's Fiancee Testifies in Double Homicide Trial
- Predicting New England Patriots' 2017 Starters After 1st Wave of Free...
- Joe Mixon Reportedly Removed from Patriots' Draft Board Due to Assault...
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...