Report: Pats sign A.J. Francis back to practice squad
|09.10.13 at 10:03 am ET|
FOXBORO — A.J. Francis is back in New England.
The defensive tackle out of Maryland, who was cut from the active roster Saturday, was signed to the Patriots’ practice squad on Monday night, according to a NESN.com report.
Francis was on the active roster before being cut on Saturday. The Patriots had eight players on the practice squad as of Monday so the team will have to cut a player to make room. The team has not officially announced the move as Bill Belichick said the team did not have any roster moves to announce at the end of his press conference on Tuesday morning.
Francis had four sacks and nine tackles for loss as a senior at Maryland. Joe Vellano, a teammate of Francis at Maryland, currently serves as a backup behind Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly on the active roster. Francis was initially signed by the Patriots off waivers from the Dolphins on Sept. 1. He practiced with the team last week before being waived.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Position-by-Position Breakdown of New England Patriots' Top Combine...
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible