Patriots pick up defensive lineman Chris Jones off waivers
|09.11.13 at 8:06 pm ET|
The Patriots picked up rookie defensive tackle Chris Jones off waivers Wednesday from Tampa.
A sixth-round pick out of Bowling Green by the Texans, he was released by Houston on Aug. 31. The 6-foot-1, 302-pounder gives New England more depth at defensive tackle, and figures to be alongside Joe Vellano when it comes to competing for playing time behind starters Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly.
As a senior at Bowling Green, Jones was named first-team All-MAC, MAC Defensive Player of the Year, and picked up third-team AP All-American honors while finishing with 42 tackles (19 for loss) and 12.5 sacks.
To make room for him on the roster, New England waived offensive lineman Josh Kline.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
- Halftime: Patriots Struggle Again in 1st Half, Trail Browns 6-0
- Week 14 Game Thread: Patriots vs. Browns
- Patriots vs. Browns: Thompkins, Hoomanawanui Both Inactive
- Belichick on Ridley, Faulk, and Ozzie Newsome
- The Best Around
- New England Patriots Links 12/06/13 - Sunday Spotlight Will Have Pats'...
- Alfonzo Dennard's Sentence Extended