Julian Edelman: ‘I tried to get open every play’
|09.13.13 at 1:00 am ET|
FOXBORO — What made Julian Edelman‘s night so remarkable wasn’t the career high 13 catches on 18 targets or his 78 yards receiving. It was the fact that he did it all when there were no other viable options for Tom Brady.
‘I just prepared like I do every week,” Edelman said. “I tried to get open every play, and Tom found me.’
Edelman was a lone bright spot on a night when the Patriots were 4-of-18 on third down. Edelman converted three of those four by himself.
‘I’m sure our offense wasn’t giving up. We were trying to move the ball,” Edelman said. “Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the other team. They did some good things. But, our defense made some big plays, and we came out with the win.’
The Patriots did move the chain at key moments of the fourth quarter, eating up just enough time and giving the defense just enough of a breather to come up with game-saving plays.
‘It was obviously very important,” Edelman said. “We played complementary football. The defense played a hell of a game, came up with some big plays, so hats off to them. We’re going to go in, watch some of this film and fix the corrections so we can get better.’
Did he sense he was Tom’s go-to guy?
‘I wasn’t even thinking about that,” Edelman said. “Like I said, you’re just thinking about beating your guy, getting open and catching the ball.
‘Any time you can go out and get a divisional win, start out 2-0, and [get] a home opener win it’s a good thing.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return