Report: NFLPA drops grievance against Patriots doctor Tom Gill
|09.18.13 at 12:36 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The NFL grievance against Patriots team doctor Thomas Gill has been dropped, according to a report from Ben Volin of the Boston Globe. In late July, at the start of training camp, the NFLPA asked the Patriots to relieve Gill of his duties for his handling of former defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene, who signed with but never played a down for the Patriots.
The grievance was filed in a legal counter-punch, stemming from an original grievance filed by the Patriots against defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene as the team looked to recoup some or all of Fanene’s $3.85 million signing bonus after releasing him in August with a ‘failure to disclose physical condition’ designation.
In preparing for Fanene’s hearing, two sources told ESPNBoston.com in July that the NFLPA discovered information it believes may show Gill wasn’t acting in the best interest of Fanene. The information, according to sources, was an email correspondence with Patriots executives.
A hearing on the grievance involving Gill isn’t expected to be heard for at least one month, per sources, but the Fanene hearing was held Monday and Tuesday at Gillette Stadium, with the NFLPA representing Fanene.
‘From a coach’s perspective, in building a championship team, there is nothing more important really than your medical staff,’ Belichick said then. ‘The overall operation of that group, relative to keeping our players healthy and on the field, is a huge aspect of the organization. ‘¦ There is nothing more important to a coach than a healthy team.’
According to a league source, the NFLPA grievance against #Patriots team doctor Thomas Gill re: Jon Fanene has been dropped
— Ben Volin (@BenVolin) September 18, 2013
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Griff Whalen to Patriots: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?