NFL hands out $70,000 in fines from Patriots-Jets scuffle
|09.20.13 at 4:11 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The NFL has handed out over $70,000 in fines for the fracas between the Jets and Patriots on Sept. 12 at Gillette Stadium.
The fight broke out when Jets center Nick Mangold hit Aqib Talib near the knees after Talib’s second interception of the night of Geno Smith sealed the Patriots’ 13-10 win. Mangold claimed that he lost his balance and hit Talib accidentally and Talib agreed, saying it appeared to be unintentional.
Two players — tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson and guard Willie Colon — were ejected.
On Friday, the NFL from handed out fines.
Ferguson was fined $15,000 for punching an opponent while Colon was docked $26,250 for making contact with an official and a $7,875 fine for punching an opponent.
Three Patriots were fined, including defensive lineman Michael Buchanan, who was hit with a $7,875 fine. Cornerback Alfonzo Dennard, and defensive lineman Vince Wilfork were also fined $7,875. All three were docked for punching an opponent. Talib was not fined.
Replays showed defensive lineman Joe Vellano swinging his arms but the NFL did not deem that worthy of a fine. All parties involved may appeal the discipline.
2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2014 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick