NFL hands out $70,000 in fines from Patriots-Jets scuffle
|09.20.13 at 4:11 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The NFL has handed out over $70,000 in fines for the fracas between the Jets and Patriots on Sept. 12 at Gillette Stadium.
The fight broke out when Jets center Nick Mangold hit Aqib Talib near the knees after Talib’s second interception of the night of Geno Smith sealed the Patriots’ 13-10 win. Mangold claimed that he lost his balance and hit Talib accidentally and Talib agreed, saying it appeared to be unintentional.
Two players — tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson and guard Willie Colon — were ejected.
On Friday, the NFL from handed out fines.
Ferguson was fined $15,000 for punching an opponent while Colon was docked $26,250 for making contact with an official and a $7,875 fine for punching an opponent.
Three Patriots were fined, including defensive lineman Michael Buchanan, who was hit with a $7,875 fine. Cornerback Alfonzo Dennard, and defensive lineman Vince Wilfork were also fined $7,875. All three were docked for punching an opponent. Talib was not fined.
Replays showed defensive lineman Joe Vellano swinging his arms but the NFL did not deem that worthy of a fine. All parties involved may appeal the discipline.
- Alfonzo Dennard's Sentence Extended
- New England Patriots resign WR Austin Collie
- New England Patriots Links 12/05/13 - Alfonzo Dennard to Find Out Legal...
- 2013 Week 13 Patriots Power Rankings
- Patriots Are Reliant on Rookies, But Still Winning
- New England Patriots Links 12/04/13 - Patriots Preparing For All Browns...
- NFL Playoff Picture: Where do the Patriots Stand After 12 Games?