NFL hands out $70,000 in fines from Patriots-Jets scuffle
|09.20.13 at 4:11 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The NFL has handed out over $70,000 in fines for the fracas between the Jets and Patriots on Sept. 12 at Gillette Stadium.
The fight broke out when Jets center Nick Mangold hit Aqib Talib near the knees after Talib’s second interception of the night of Geno Smith sealed the Patriots’ 13-10 win. Mangold claimed that he lost his balance and hit Talib accidentally and Talib agreed, saying it appeared to be unintentional.
Two players — tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson and guard Willie Colon — were ejected.
On Friday, the NFL from handed out fines.
Ferguson was fined $15,000 for punching an opponent while Colon was docked $26,250 for making contact with an official and a $7,875 fine for punching an opponent.
Three Patriots were fined, including defensive lineman Michael Buchanan, who was hit with a $7,875 fine. Cornerback Alfonzo Dennard, and defensive lineman Vince Wilfork were also fined $7,875. All three were docked for punching an opponent. Talib was not fined.
Replays showed defensive lineman Joe Vellano swinging his arms but the NFL did not deem that worthy of a fine. All parties involved may appeal the discipline.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England