Patriots, Jonathan Fanene reportedly reach formal settlement
|09.22.13 at 10:01 am ET|
FOXBORO — The Patriots and Jonathan Fanene have reached a settlement that will end a dispute over what the former defensive lineman is owed, according to Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com.
Reiss reports the team and Fanene resolved a grievance over Fanene’s 2012 signing bonus, allowing Fanene to keep the $2.5 million already paid out while the team will not have to pay him the remaining $1.85 million.
After signing him in the summer of 2012, the Patriots claimed that Fanene did not disclose a knee injury. The team gave him a contract that included a $3.85 million signing bonus. The team was looking to recoup the $1.85 million and the full $2.5 million already paid.
In a counter-attack, the NFL Players Association filed a grievance in late July to have Patriots doctor Tom Gill relieved of duties as Patriots team doctor. Earlier this week, it was disclosed that the NFLPA had rescinded the grievance, likely in advance of the settlement.
Had the two sides not agreed to the settlement, a formal arbitration process would have determined the final settlement. The move also gives the Patriots a $1.85 million cap credit.
There is another likely bonus grievance on the horizon as the Patriots are looking to withhold the final $3.25 million signing installment to former tight end Aaron Hernandez, who was released in late June after being charged with the first degree murder of Odin Lloyd. The team has already paid Hernandez over $8 million of his signing bonus after a contract extension within weeks of the Fanene deal.
It’s likely that the Patriots could make a case for recouping all of the Hernandez signing bonus but it’s not clear if the two sides could negotiate a settlement similar to the Fanene case.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know