Jerod Mayo on M&M: ‘Fourth-down conversions were huge for us’
|09.23.13 at 11:50 am ET|
The Patriots moved to 3-0 on the season thanks to a defensive unit that sacked quarterback Josh Freeman three times and forced him into 19-of-41 passing with one interception.
New England’s third- and fourth-down defense was superb. Tampa Bay went just 5-for-14 on third down, and the Bucs failed on all four fourth-down attempts.
‘Anytime we can get the ball back into our offense’s hands, it’s always going to be huge, we call it stealing possessions,’ said Mayo, who recorded a team-high nine tackles and added a sack Sunday. ‘And like you said, those fourth-down conversions were huge for us, and they turned into points for our offense.’
With an offense that features a number of rookie wide receivers, and no healthy go-to tight end, the unit needs time to work out the inevitable kinks. The defense has bought the offense that time, even though Mayo says his group is not concerned with the offense’s development.
‘Coach always tells us as a defense, our job is to keep people out of the end zone no matter what our offense is doing,’ Mayo said. ‘We never really think about that, we always just think about stealing possessions and getting the ball back to those guys.’
In addition to shutting down Freeman, the defense kept second-year running back Doug Martin at bay. The shifty 5-foot-9 back ran for 88 yards on 20 carries.
‘Anytime you got a guy like that running behind 6-6 guys, it’s difficult to find him,’ said Mayo. ‘He’s a very explosive runner, but I think the guys did a good job getting 11 guys to the football and bringing him to the ground.’
Mayo downplayed the significance of practicing with Tampa Bay before facing the Bucs in a preseason game.
‘As far as knowing your personnel, knowing who you’re playing against, it was helpful that way, but as far as scheme is concerned it was a little bit different,’ Mayo said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know