Patriots sign Kanorris Davis and Ja’Gared Davis to active roster
|10.05.13 at 6:17 pm ET|
CINCINNATI — The Patriots announced a pair of moves Saturday to add special teams depth to their roster.
Safety Kanorris Davis and linebacker Ja’Gared Davis were signed off the practice squad and added to the 53-man roster in time for Sunday’s game against the Bengals.
Ja’Gared Davis will wear jersey No. 53 while Kanorris Davis will wear No. 36.
Ja’Gared Davis, 22, was claimed off waivers by the Patriots on Aug. 28, 2013. The 6-foot, 238-pounder, was originally signed by the Houston Texans as a rookie free agent from Southern Methodist on May 10, 2013, and was released on Aug. 27, 2013. Davis was released by the Patriots on Aug. 31 and signed to the practice squad on Sept. 1. He played in 53 college games and recorded 301 total tackles, 20 sacks, four interceptions, eight forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries.
Kanorris Davis, 23, originally joined the Patriots as a rookie free agent out of Troy on May 3, 2013. The 5-foot-10, 207-pounder was released on Aug. 31 and was signed to the practice squad on Sept. 1. Davis was signed from the practice squad to the 53-man roster last Saturday prior to the game at Atlanta and played against the Falcons on special teams. He was released by the Patriots on Monday and signed back to the practice squad on Wednesday. Davis played as a linebacker in college, where he helped Troy win the Sun Belt Conference Championship in 2011 and 2012.
The two moves could be a likely sign that special teams captain Matthew Slater is not ready to return to action after returning to practice on Friday for the first time since breaking his wrist in the season opener. Slater was listed as “doubtful” on Friday’s injury report.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...