Patriots sign Kanorris Davis and Ja’Gared Davis to active roster
|10.05.13 at 6:17 pm ET|
CINCINNATI — The Patriots announced a pair of moves Saturday to add special teams depth to their roster.
Safety Kanorris Davis and linebacker Ja’Gared Davis were signed off the practice squad and added to the 53-man roster in time for Sunday’s game against the Bengals.
Ja’Gared Davis will wear jersey No. 53 while Kanorris Davis will wear No. 36.
Ja’Gared Davis, 22, was claimed off waivers by the Patriots on Aug. 28, 2013. The 6-foot, 238-pounder, was originally signed by the Houston Texans as a rookie free agent from Southern Methodist on May 10, 2013, and was released on Aug. 27, 2013. Davis was released by the Patriots on Aug. 31 and signed to the practice squad on Sept. 1. He played in 53 college games and recorded 301 total tackles, 20 sacks, four interceptions, eight forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries.
Kanorris Davis, 23, originally joined the Patriots as a rookie free agent out of Troy on May 3, 2013. The 5-foot-10, 207-pounder was released on Aug. 31 and was signed to the practice squad on Sept. 1. Davis was signed from the practice squad to the 53-man roster last Saturday prior to the game at Atlanta and played against the Falcons on special teams. He was released by the Patriots on Monday and signed back to the practice squad on Wednesday. Davis played as a linebacker in college, where he helped Troy win the Sun Belt Conference Championship in 2011 and 2012.
The two moves could be a likely sign that special teams captain Matthew Slater is not ready to return to action after returning to practice on Friday for the first time since breaking his wrist in the season opener. Slater was listed as “doubtful” on Friday’s injury report.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...