Logan Mankins: ‘I think we really let [the defense] down’
|10.06.13 at 7:08 pm ET|
The Bengals, led by Pro Bowl nose tackle Geno Atkins, disrupted and dismantled the Patriots offensive line all day, resulting in four sacks, five tackles for losses, eight hits on Tom Brady and seemingly countless other hurries. Atkins just signed a five-year, $55 million extension before the season began. On Sunday, the Patriots got a good dose of why Bengals owner Mike Brown invested the money.
“They’ve got a good front,” Mankins said. “Geno Atkins, he’s the real deal, that’s why he’s getting paid a ton. He’s an all-pro guy. You have to do your best against him. They’ve got some good ends. They complement each other well.”
The Patriots defense kept the Bengals out of the end zone with the exception of one 93-yard scoring drive but the offense could never get into gear, something that Mankins said he felt bad about after Cincinnati’s 13-6 win.
“We practice together all week,” Mankins said. “Offensively, it comes down to making plays, the line blocking, backs running, receivers catching, quarterback making good throws and making the right reads. We’re just not getting enough of that right now.
“Today the defense played great, as they have all year. I think we really let them down.”
On the first two drives, the Patriots called play-action passes and both times the Bengals defensive line snuffed it out and sacked Brady.
“I think the first half we ran the ball pretty good,” Mankins said. “The second half, we didn’t really run it very many times. We just threw the ball pretty much. Maybe we just got into the [pass blocking] groove a little bit better there. Some of those pressures in the first half were play-action passes that I think their defense did a good job of scouting those. They played them perfect where we didn’t have a chance to block them in that scheme. They’re getting paid, too. You have to chalk it up to them sometimes.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know