Setting the scene: Patriots take on Bengals in the rain
|10.06.13 at 10:35 am ET|
CINCINNATI — The Patriots ball security figures to be tested as they take on the Bengals in the fifth game of the season here at Paul Brown Stadium.
Steady rain, with a chance of thunderstorms, is in the forecast, with temperatures expected in the low 70s for the 1 p.m. kickoff on the banks of the Ohio River.
The Patriots will again enter the game without the services of tight end Rob Gronkowski, who was ruled out Saturday night for the fifth straight week. He is still recovering from offseason back and forearm surgeries. He could make a return to action in Week 6 against the Saints.
Sunday against the Bengals could mark the return of wide receiver Danny Amendola, who has missed the last three games with a groin injury, suffered in the first half against the Bills. He was listed as “questionable” on Friday’s injury report. Amendola, wearing game pants, sprinted out to the field at about 11:15, ran around the outside of the field and joined a group of Patriots in early stretching.
Sunday will not be the debut of wide receiver Austin Collie, who was signed on Thursday. He was designated as inactive 90 minutes before kickoff. The Patriots listed four receivers on their injury report on Friday, including Aaron Dobson, who was questionable with a neck injury despite practicing this week.
The Patriots lead the all-time series, 14-8, including wins in the last four meetings and seven of the last eight. The last Cincinnati win in the series was the season opener in 2001 when Corey Dillon led the Bengals to a 23-17 win over Drew Bledsoe and the Patriots at Paul Brown Stadium. That is also the only time Belichick’s Patriots have lost to the Bengals.
This is a homecoming for Patriots wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins, who attended the University of Cincinnati in 2011 and 2012.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...