Kenbrell Thompkins knew Patriots ‘were going to get another chance’
|10.14.13 at 12:32 am ET|
FOXBORO — If this keeps up, Kenbrell Thompkins is going to have a hard time keeping up his image as a humble rookie. After all, it’s not every undrafted rookie free agent that comes in and catches a game-winning pass from Tom Brady, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.
But that’s exactly what happened when Thompkins got just enough space in the back left corner of the end zone and went up to catch Brady’s pass with five seconds left in the game, lifting the Patriots to a 30-27 win over the Saints Sunday at Gillette.
“It was just zone coverage. The DB let me get behind him and I just went up there and made the play,” Thompkins said. “Just excitement. More excitement just for my team, not necessarily for me but for my team. I know we worked so hard, we had a tough week of practice this week and just going out there and making that play for my team definitely meant a lot for me.
‘We just knew that it was going to come down to the last minute. Until that clock said all zeros on it, we were going to fight until the finish. And that’s what we did, we just went out there and fought to the finish.’
Thompkins has been around just six games in New England but that’s long enough to know that even when he’s struggling like he was in the second half, when the game comes down to Tom Brady, the Patriots still like their chances.
‘Just believing in this team,” Thompkins said. “We were saying on the sideline the whole time that we were going to get another chance. And when we get that chance, we have to take full advantage of it.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...