Source: Jerod Mayo out at least eight weeks after surgery on torn pectoral muscle
|10.15.13 at 8:15 pm ET|
The injuries continue to mount for the Patriots.
Linebacker Jerod Mayo has had surgery on a torn pectoral muscle and is out at least eight weeks, a source tells WEEI.com. Depending on the severity of the tear and the subsequent rehab, Mayo could return to working out in six weeks. If there’s a chance the captain of the Patriots defense could return for late in the season and the playoffs, the team is likely to hold off placing him on injured reserve.
If the tear was more severe, then Mayo has likely played his last snap of the season.
The story was first reported by Yahoo’s Les Carpenter.
Mayo injured the muscle on a tackle of Darren Sproles in the fourth quarter Sunday against the Saints. On the play before New Orleans’ go-ahead touchdown, Sproles came over the middle and was crushed by Mayo. Both players laid on the ground for several minutes and Mayo immediately grabbed for his right shoulder and chest area before making his way off the field under his own power.
He did not return. Mayo had played in all but eight of New England’s 399 defensive snaps for the Patriots this season before missing the final seven of the game on Sunday. Mayo didn’t miss a snap against the Bills, Jets, Falcons and Bengals.
The news of Mayo’s surgery comes two weeks after Vince Wilfork had season-ending surgery on his torn right Achilles. WEEI.com’s Chris Price takes an in-depth look at what the domino effect is likely to be with the two defensive captains out of the middle of the Patriots defense for an indefinite period.
On Sunday, the Patriots also lost Danny Amendola to a head injury in the second half. He did not return. Cornerback Aqib Talib left with a hip injury and offensive lineman Dan Connolly left with a head injury.
Yahoo sources: Pats Jerod Mayo has surgery on a torn pectoral muscle and could miss the rest of the season: http://t.co/3IiTejdc2m
‘ Les Carpenter (@Lescarpenter) October 15, 2013
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...