Jets DL Mo Wilkerson backs down from September guarantee regarding Patriots
|10.16.13 at 6:56 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Muhammad Wilkerson pulled a reverse on Wednesday.
The Jets defensive lineman — who predicted a New York victory over the Patriots in September, only to see the Jets come up short in a 13-10 loss to New England — was asked about that boast on Wednesday and whether he regretted making the statement.
But he was quick to say he made no such boast a month ago.
“I don’t know who told you I guaranteed — I didn’t guarantee anything,” said Wilkerson on a conference call with the New England media. “Those words didn’t come out of my mouth.”
Wilkerson didn’t expand on the comment, but the statement is interesting in the wake of an interview with to New York’s WFAN Radio a few days before the Jets-Patriots matchup last month. In the Q&A — conducted a day after New York pulled out an 18-17 season-opening win over the Bucs — Wilkerson appeared to make no bones about the fact that his team was going to emerge with a victory.
‘We’re going to go to Foxboro and get this win,’ said the 6-foot-4, 315-pounder out of Temple. ‘We’re going to be 2-0.’
For what it’s worth, Wilkerson has been a part of the Jets since 2011, and has never been part of a New York win over the Patriots.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know