Jets DL Mo Wilkerson backs down from September guarantee regarding Patriots
|10.16.13 at 6:56 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Muhammad Wilkerson pulled a reverse on Wednesday.
The Jets defensive lineman — who predicted a New York victory over the Patriots in September, only to see the Jets come up short in a 13-10 loss to New England — was asked about that boast on Wednesday and whether he regretted making the statement.
But he was quick to say he made no such boast a month ago.
“I don’t know who told you I guaranteed — I didn’t guarantee anything,” said Wilkerson on a conference call with the New England media. “Those words didn’t come out of my mouth.”
Wilkerson didn’t expand on the comment, but the statement is interesting in the wake of an interview with to New York’s WFAN Radio a few days before the Jets-Patriots matchup last month. In the Q&A — conducted a day after New York pulled out an 18-17 season-opening win over the Bucs — Wilkerson appeared to make no bones about the fact that his team was going to emerge with a victory.
‘We’re going to go to Foxboro and get this win,’ said the 6-foot-4, 315-pounder out of Temple. ‘We’re going to be 2-0.’
For what it’s worth, Wilkerson has been a part of the Jets since 2011, and has never been part of a New York win over the Patriots.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Says He Has No Interest in Pursuing Coaching Career
- New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England