Jets DL Mo Wilkerson backs down from September guarantee regarding Patriots
|10.16.13 at 6:56 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Muhammad Wilkerson pulled a reverse on Wednesday.
The Jets defensive lineman — who predicted a New York victory over the Patriots in September, only to see the Jets come up short in a 13-10 loss to New England — was asked about that boast on Wednesday and whether he regretted making the statement.
But he was quick to say he made no such boast a month ago.
“I don’t know who told you I guaranteed — I didn’t guarantee anything,” said Wilkerson on a conference call with the New England media. “Those words didn’t come out of my mouth.”
Wilkerson didn’t expand on the comment, but the statement is interesting in the wake of an interview with to New York’s WFAN Radio a few days before the Jets-Patriots matchup last month. In the Q&A — conducted a day after New York pulled out an 18-17 season-opening win over the Bucs — Wilkerson appeared to make no bones about the fact that his team was going to emerge with a victory.
‘We’re going to go to Foxboro and get this win,’ said the 6-foot-4, 315-pounder out of Temple. ‘We’re going to be 2-0.’
For what it’s worth, Wilkerson has been a part of the Jets since 2011, and has never been part of a New York win over the Patriots.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots