Drew Rosenhaus: Rob Gronkowski hasn’t gotten clearance to play
|10.17.13 at 12:18 pm ET|
Rob Gronkowski‘s agent Drew Rosenhaus said Thursday that his client hasn’t received medical clearance to play, and expressed surprise that the tight end’s situation has gotten as much attention as it has.
‘I don’t understand why this story has gotten so much traction. There are dozens of players around the NFL who aren’t playing because they are injured and coming back from surgery,’ Rosenhaus said while appearing with Joe Rose on WQAM-AM 560.
‘In Rob’s case, this is really straightforward. Up to this point he hasn’t been cleared to play in a game. He has not been cleared by Dr. [James] Andrews, who is the supervising doctor.’
Rosenhaus added that until Gronkowski is cleared, he cannot play in a game.
‘There’s a huge difference between being cleared to practice and being cleared to play in a game,’ Rosenhaus said. ‘I’ve had great dialogue with coach [Bill] Belichick and the Patriots’ medical staff, and Rob and his family. Everybody’s on the same page, except it’s gotten a lot of play in the media and all these unsubstantiated sources.’
Gronkowski, who underwent multiple surgeries on his back and forearm in the offseason, has practiced with the team since the start of the season, but has yet to play. He was listed as “limited” in Wednesday’s practice session.
‘It’s really straightforward — when Rob is cleared, he’ll play,’ Rosenhaus said. ‘It shouldn’t be a big surprise to people that the guy has a very cautious approach right now, because he had four operations on that forearm and he had a back operation.
‘Quite frankly, it’s not a huge upset that up to this point he hasn’t been cleared to play in a game. We anticipated this. Hopefully he’ll be back soon — maybe even this weekend. But there’s no way to know until the end of the week when his doctors make that determination.’
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL