Target Practice: Tracking opportunities in Patriots passing game
|10.22.13 at 7:30 am ET|
Targets have been compiled by the NFL since the start of the 2009 season, and while it remains a vaguely imperfect stat ‘ a badly thrown ball from a quarterback can often go against the record of the receiver as opposed to the quarterback ‘ it remains a good indication of the confidence level a passer might have in his pass catcher. Here’s a look at the target breakdown for the New England passing game after the first seven games of the 2013 season:
WR Julian Edelman: 46 catches on 68 targets
WR Kenbrell Thompkins: 23 catches on 54 targets
WR Aaron Dobson: 22 catches on 51 targets
WR Danny Amendola: 16 catches on 27 targets
RB Brandon Bolden: 15 catches on 21 targets
TE Rob Gronkowski: 8 catches on 17 targets
TE Michael Hoomanawanui: 8 catches on 11 targets
RB Shane Vereen: 7 catches on 10 targets
RB Stevan Ridley: 6 catches on 6 targets
WR Austin Collie: 3 catches on 7 targets
FB James Develin: 2 catches on 2 targets
WR Josh Boyce: 1 catch on 6 targets
TE Matthew Mulligan: 1 catch on 1 target
TE Zach Sudfeld: 0 catches on 3 targets
RB LeGarrette Blount: 0 catches on 2 targets
RB Leon Washington: 0 catches on 1 target
TE/OL Nate Solder: 0 catches on 1 target
Wide receiver: 111 catches on 213 targets
Running back/fullback: 30 catches on 42 targets
Tight end: 17 catches on 32 targets
Other: 0 catches on 1 target
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return