Jets sign Ras-I Dowling to the practice squad
|10.23.13 at 10:41 am ET|
Former Patriots second-round pick Ras-I Dowling has a new home. The Jets signed the cornerback to their practice squad on Wednesday morning.
Dowling, who was chosen in the 2011 NFL draft, played two games for the Patriots in the 2011 season before injuring his hip in Week 2 against San Diego. On Oct. 29, 2011, the Patriots placed him on injured reserve, ending his season.
Dowling seemed to be on track and healthy in the summer of 2012 but on Oct. 26, 2012, he was placed on injured reserve with a torn thigh muscle, ending his 2012 season.
Dowling did not have an apparent injury this summer during training camp but on Aug. 28, 2013, the Patriots released Dowling as part of their roster cutdown to 75. Over two seasons, Dowling had 10 tackles, no interceptions and no sacks.
Dowling attended the University of Virginia. As a freshman in 2007, Dowling played in 12 games recording 44 tackles and two interceptions. As a sophomore in 2008 he started nine of 11 games. He finished the season with 43 tackles and a team leading three interceptions.
In 2009, Dowling was voted All-ACC second team. He was also awarded ACC Defensive Player of the week vs. Indiana with nine tackles and the first sack of his career. He ended the season with three interceptions. Dowling was voted 2010 Pre-season All-ACC selection and second team All-American for the first time in his career.
Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports Dowling had workouts with the Texans and Chiefs before signing with the Jets on Wednesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...