Dolphins coach Joe Philbin: Don’t tell me Patriots’ offense is struggling
|10.24.13 at 7:15 am ET|
FOXBORO — Don’t tell Dolphins coach Joe Philbin that the Patriots’ offense has problems.
Despite the fact that New England has struggled recently on third down, as well as some of their issues when it comes to scoring in the second half, Philbin, speaking on a conference call with the New England media on Wednesday, said there’s a lot to like about the state of the Patriots’ offense. Just take your pick.
“I think their offensive line is very good. I think Dante Scarnecchia is one of the best offensive line coaches in the National Football League,” he said. “I like the balance that they have — they’ve got their tight end back who they target and can make plays all over the field. I think they’re young receivers are getting better. (Stevan) Ridley is a good back and obviously their quarterback is as good as there is in the game. It’s a talented group and it’s a well coached group.’
Philbin said if there are issues, some of it could be in the fact that they’re in a state of transition, moving from a passing game that was centered around the likes of Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski to one that features some younger receivers, as well as a tight end in Gronkowski who is returning to the field just now after a prolonged absence because of offseason surgery.
‘I think they’re just working through [it],” Philbin said. “All teams in the National Football League have to deal with transition. They’re no different, we’re no different. And I think they’ve worked through that nicely, and I think they’ve got a good group and they’re making nice progress on offense.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return