Dolphins coach Joe Philbin: Don’t tell me Patriots’ offense is struggling
|10.24.13 at 7:15 am ET|
FOXBORO — Don’t tell Dolphins coach Joe Philbin that the Patriots’ offense has problems.
Despite the fact that New England has struggled recently on third down, as well as some of their issues when it comes to scoring in the second half, Philbin, speaking on a conference call with the New England media on Wednesday, said there’s a lot to like about the state of the Patriots’ offense. Just take your pick.
“I think their offensive line is very good. I think Dante Scarnecchia is one of the best offensive line coaches in the National Football League,” he said. “I like the balance that they have — they’ve got their tight end back who they target and can make plays all over the field. I think they’re young receivers are getting better. (Stevan) Ridley is a good back and obviously their quarterback is as good as there is in the game. It’s a talented group and it’s a well coached group.’
Philbin said if there are issues, some of it could be in the fact that they’re in a state of transition, moving from a passing game that was centered around the likes of Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski to one that features some younger receivers, as well as a tight end in Gronkowski who is returning to the field just now after a prolonged absence because of offseason surgery.
‘I think they’re just working through [it],” Philbin said. “All teams in the National Football League have to deal with transition. They’re no different, we’re no different. And I think they’ve worked through that nicely, and I think they’ve got a good group and they’re making nice progress on offense.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick