As trade deadline looms, looking back at Patriots’ in-season deals under Bill Belichick
|10.29.13 at 8:05 am ET|
With the NFL trade deadline set for Tuesday afternoon, here’s a look at the in-season deals swung by the Patriots since Bill Belichick took over as coach in 2000.
2006: The day after a season-opening win over the Bills in Buffalo, the Patriots put an end to a protracted contract flap with wide receiver Deion Branch when they sent Branch to the Seahawks in exchange for a first-round selection in the 2007 draft.
2009: The Patriots made a couple of interesting moves that summer, including the trade of Richard Seymour to the Raiders for a first-round draft pick in the 2011 draft and a move that saw tight end David Thomas shipped to the Saints for a sixth-round pick in the 2011 draft. But the only in-season deal the Patriots made was a trade with the Ravens that saw them acquire linebacker Prescott Burgess in exchange for a conditional draft pick.
2010: The biggest year for in-season deals, at least from a volume perspective. On Sept. 14, the Patriots sent running back Laurence Maroney and a sixth-round pick to the Broncos for a fourth-round pick in 2011. Less than a month later, New England swung a pair of seismic trades: First, the Patriots dealt wide receiver Randy Moss and a seventh-round pick to the Vikings for a third-rounder in 2011 on Oct. 6. Then, six days later, New England re-acquired Branch in exchange for 2011 fourth-round pick (99th overall).
2012: Another impact in-season deal came that year on Nov. 1, when the Patriots acquired cornerback Aqib Talib and a 2013 seventh-round pick from Tampa Bay in exchange for a 2013 fourth-round draft choice (126th overall).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Says He Has No Interest in Pursuing Coaching Career
- New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England