Patriots acquire defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga for draft pick
|10.29.13 at 3:57 pm ET|
For the second consecutive year, the Patriots have swung a trade deadline deal, this time acquiring defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga from the Eagles.
Sopoaga is a 6-foot-2, 330-pounder out of Hawaii in his 10th season in the league. The 32-year-old, who has played with the 49ers (2004-2012) and Eagles (2013), has 226 career tackles and seven career sacks. Considered a 3-4 nose tackle, Sopoaga will relieve some of the burden that has fallen on youngsters Joe Vellano and Chris Jones, who had to play serious minutes after Vince Wilfork went down with a season-ending Achilles injury last month against the Falcons.
In all, the Eagles sent Sopoaga and a sixth-round pick to Patriots in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2014 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick