Target Practice: Tracking opportunities in Patriots passing game
|10.29.13 at 6:45 am ET|
Targets have been compiled by the NFL since the start of the 2009 season, and while it remains a vaguely imperfect stat ‘ a badly thrown ball from a quarterback can often go against the record of the receiver as opposed to the quarterback ‘ it remains a good indication of the confidence level a passer might have in his pass catcher. Here’s a look at the target breakdown for the New England passing game after the first eight games of the 2013 season:
WR Julian Edelman: 48 catches on 70 targets
WR Aaron Dobson: 26 catches on 56 targets
WR Kenbrell Thompkins: 23 catches on 55 targets
WR Danny Amendola: 19 catches on 33 targets
RB Brandon Bolden: 17 catches on 23 targets
TE Rob Gronkowski: 10 catches on 22 targets
TE Michael Hoomanawanui: 8 catches on 11 targets
RB Shane Vereen: 7 catches on 10 targets
RB Stevan Ridley: 6 catches on 6 targets
WR Austin Collie: 3 catches on 7 targets
FB James Develin: 2 catches on 2 targets
WR Josh Boyce: 1 catch on 6 targets
TE Matthew Mulligan: 1 catch on 1 target
TE Zach Sudfeld: 0 catches on 3 targets
RB LeGarrette Blount: 0 catches on 2 targets
RB Leon Washington: 0 catches on 1 target
TE/OL Nate Solder: 0 catches on 1 target
Wide receiver: 120 catches on 227 targets
Running back/fullback: 32 catches on 44 targets
Tight end: 19 catches on 37 targets
Other: 0 catches on 1 target
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...