Bill Belichick on Ed Reed: Not ‘appropriate’ to comment on players not on team
|11.13.13 at 1:55 pm ET|
Asked about the possibility of the Patriots having interest in the recently released Ed Reed, Bill Belichick said Wednesday, “I don’t think it would be appropriate for me to comment on players that aren’t on our team.”
The veteran safety, who was released on Tuesday by the Texans, has long been a favorite of Beichick — the Patriots coach has praised Reed several times over the years when he was with the Ravens.
Asked about the process that would go into the decision as to whether or not they would sign a player like Reed who was waived, Belichick provided some insight into the scouting and evaluation process.
“First of all, there’s usually — not always — but there’s usually an indication of things like that,” Belichick said. “Not saying they’re going to happen, but that they could happen, and that’s one of the things that our personnel department, pro personnel department, does a real good job of, is they stay on top of that.
“So when you have players who are ‘ whatever their situation is ‘ that we think could potentially become available, then we start working on them ahead of time, so that when it happens ‘ or if it happens ‘ we’re not sitting there trying to scramble around and find out the information and evaluate the player on film and so forth,” he added. “Most of the time you have a little bit of a lead-in on that if you’re paying attention to things that are going on, whether it be some type of internal problem, or maybe it’s a player that’s had decreased playing time, or maybe there’s a contract issue that you can see coming to a head, or you have some indication from whoever that it’s going to happen.”
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Comments on Friendship with President Donald Trump
- Even Patriots Haters Should Marvel at Historic Greatness of Brady and Co.
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself