Ed Reed passes through waivers unclaimed and becomes free agent
|11.13.13 at 9:44 pm ET|
Veteran safety Ed Reed, who was released by the Texans on Tuesday, passed through waivers unclaimed on Wednesday, which means he’s now an unrestricted free agent and available to any NFL team that would want him.
For his part, Bill Belichick wasn’t biting when asked about Reed on Wednesday afternoon. Prior to the completion of the waiver process, Belichick said it wasn’t “appropriate” to comment on players who aren’t on the team. At the same time, it’s not a leap of logic to consider the possibility that the Patriots have already reached out Reed, given the mutual admiration society that exists between the two.
“[I] can’t say I’ve ever played against anybody better than Ed Reed in the secondary,” said Belichick on Jan. 18, 2012.
‘I love Bill Belichick, He’s a great coach and a great man,” Reed said a day later. “Always trying to do the right thing. And winning championships in this league, he’s done it over the years. I have a lot of respect for Belichick.”
New Patriots receiver LaQuan Williams — who played alongside Reed in Baltimore — can certainly vouch for Reed as a player, as well as a positive influence in the locker room.
‘Great guy. A wonderful player as well,’ Williams said Tuesday shortly after the news broke that Reed had been released by the Texans. ‘He’s one of those guys that stands out in the locker room, helps out in the locker room, and keeps the team together.’
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...