Ed Reed: Patriots, Dolphins showed interest before I signed with Jets
|11.14.13 at 7:56 pm ET|
Shortly after he signed with the Jets Thursday, veteran safety Ed Reed acknowledged he heard from the Patriots and Dolphins during his brief stint as a free agent.
“I don’t think either one of them wanted me in their conference,’ Reed told reporters.
Reed, who was released by the Texans on Tuesday, passed through waivers without being claimed on Wednesday and hit the open market that evening. In a 24-hour span, Reed said he heard from both New England and Miami, but decided on the Jets in part because of his familiarity with coach Rex Ryan. Ryan was the defensive coordinator in Baltimore during a portion of Reed’s time with the Ravens (2005-2008).
Ryan said Thursday there was no sentimental feeling when it came to the possibility of reuniting with the 35-year-old Reed.
‘This had nothing to do with sentiment. We believe it will be a great signing for us and he’s going to help this football team,’ Ryan said.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
2015 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2015 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez Double Homicide Trial: Latest Details, Date, Witnesses...
- Impact Meter for Patriots' Rookie Class
- An in-Depth Look at Patriots' Malcom Brown
- Patriots Show Confidence in Current Depth Chart at CB
- Aggregating Pariots' Draft Report Card Grades
- Patriots' Biggest Strengths, Weaknesses After Draft
- Good, Bad and Baffling of Pats' Draft