Aqib Talib might be ‘day-to-day’ but sounds close to returning
|11.15.13 at 11:24 am ET|
FOXBORO — There are usually good signs that a player is nearing return from injury.
Aqib Talib is showing some of them.
For the first time since suffering a hip injury in Week 6 against the Saints, Talib spoke with the media Thursday, which could be a sign that the shutdown corner is getting ready to come back.
Asked where he stood this week, Talib would only commit to “day to day,” but he was on the practice field for the team’s full-pads practice Thursday, and was on the field again on Friday.
He gave credit to his teammates picking him up during his absence while saying it’s been difficult watching the games.
“Definitely, man, anytime you have to watch the guys go to war without you, man, that’s the worst thing in the world,” he said.
Talib said the bye last week came “at the perfect time.”
The other big sign that Talib appears ready to return is his eagerness to get on the field with one of the best talkers in the game, Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith, someone he got to know very well from his NFC South days with the Buccaneers.
“He brings it every Sunday or Monday or whenever the game is,” Talib said. “Steve’s gonna bring it. If you’re competitive like that, you’re gonna be successful.”
As for his own trash-talking exploits on the field, Talib acknowledged he’s got game, too.
“Yeah, I say a couple words,” Talib said with a devilish smile.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England