Report: Tom Brady reached out to Ed Reed
|11.18.13 at 7:07 am ET|
There have been conflicting reports about the level of the Patriots’ interest in Ed Reed after the veteran safety was released by the Texans last week. According to a story Sunday by Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, Tom Brady texted Reed to encourage him to sign with New England. However, the Patriots brass did not show the same level of interest.
Reed eventually signed with the Jets, who came on strong in their courtship. Coach Rex Ryan texted him and set up a visit right after Reed cleared waivers, La Canfora reported. After a meeting with general manager John Idzik on Wednesday night and passing a thorough physical Thursday, Reed signed with New York and was active for Sunday’s game against the Bills.
The Jets are hoping Reed can provide veteran leadership and a presence in the defensive backfield, although he wasn’t able to offer much help in Sunday’s 37-14 loss to the Bills.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- New England Patriots: Full Position Breakdown and Depth Chart Analysis at...
- Pats Landed Disruptive Interior Lineman in Brown
- What to Expect from Patriots Defense
- Pats' Depth at CB Will Be Tested in 2015
- Pats Fan Has Last Words in Obituary
- Predicting Pats' 2015 Breakout Star
- Patriots' Player Reports and Analysis