Report: Tom Brady reached out to Ed Reed
|11.18.13 at 7:07 am ET|
There have been conflicting reports about the level of the Patriots’ interest in Ed Reed after the veteran safety was released by the Texans last week. According to a story Sunday by Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, Tom Brady texted Reed to encourage him to sign with New England. However, the Patriots brass did not show the same level of interest.
Reed eventually signed with the Jets, who came on strong in their courtship. Coach Rex Ryan texted him and set up a visit right after Reed cleared waivers, La Canfora reported. After a meeting with general manager John Idzik on Wednesday night and passing a thorough physical Thursday, Reed signed with New York and was active for Sunday’s game against the Bills.
The Jets are hoping Reed can provide veteran leadership and a presence in the defensive backfield, although he wasn’t able to offer much help in Sunday’s 37-14 loss to the Bills.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Terrance Knighton Cut by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Updates on Patriots OT Sebastian Vollmer Injury
- Latest Updates on Tom Brady's Thumb Injury
- Malcolm Mitchell Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Elbow
- Tom Brady Comments on Suspension, Decision to Drop Deflategate Appeal
- Latest Updates on Bryan Stork's Concussion
- Gronk Is Too Good to Be NFL's Highest-Paid TE