Report: Tom Brady reached out to Ed Reed
|11.18.13 at 7:07 am ET|
There have been conflicting reports about the level of the Patriots’ interest in Ed Reed after the veteran safety was released by the Texans last week. According to a story Sunday by Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, Tom Brady texted Reed to encourage him to sign with New England. However, the Patriots brass did not show the same level of interest.
Reed eventually signed with the Jets, who came on strong in their courtship. Coach Rex Ryan texted him and set up a visit right after Reed cleared waivers, La Canfora reported. After a meeting with general manager John Idzik on Wednesday night and passing a thorough physical Thursday, Reed signed with New York and was active for Sunday’s game against the Bills.
The Jets are hoping Reed can provide veteran leadership and a presence in the defensive backfield, although he wasn’t able to offer much help in Sunday’s 37-14 loss to the Bills.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction