Reports: Tom Brady’s wedding bodyguards found guilty of attempted murder for shooting at photographers
|11.18.13 at 11:49 am ET|
Two bodyguards who had been providing security for the 2009 wedding of Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen in Costa Rica were found guilty of attempted murder for shooting at paparazzi who were trying to photograph the event, according to multiple reports.
In a unanimous verdict, three judges sentenced Miguel Solis and Alexander Rivas to five years in jail. The bodyguards, who refused to testify during the trial, also were ordered to pay $10,000 each to the two photographers, who had the rear window of their vehicle shot out as they were fleeing. A third bodyguard, Manuel Valverde, was acquitted.
Photographers Rolando Aviles and Uri Cortez said they were taking pictures of the event from a neighboring property when three guards approached them and demanded the cameras’ memory cards. When the photographers instead returned to their car to drive away, shots were fired.
“The bullet went between us, missing our heads. If the bullet had been a little more to the left or right, it would have killed one of us,” Aviles told the London Daily Mail. “I said, ‘They’re going to kill us,’ and that’s when I hunched down to cover myself. When the glass broke, that’s when my friend started driving really fast.
“I could have lost my life for the sale of some pictures that Gisele didn’t want published. Are they insane?”
Neither photographer suffered physical injuries in the incident.
Brady denied the account at the time, insisting: “It’s absolute B.S. We found two guys on our property, and we told them to get out. Our security didn’t even have guns. There were no shots fired.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL