Reports: Tom Brady’s wedding bodyguards found guilty of attempted murder for shooting at photographers
|11.18.13 at 11:49 am ET|
Two bodyguards who had been providing security for the 2009 wedding of Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen in Costa Rica were found guilty of attempted murder for shooting at paparazzi who were trying to photograph the event, according to multiple reports.
In a unanimous verdict, three judges sentenced Miguel Solis and Alexander Rivas to five years in jail. The bodyguards, who refused to testify during the trial, also were ordered to pay $10,000 each to the two photographers, who had the rear window of their vehicle shot out as they were fleeing. A third bodyguard, Manuel Valverde, was acquitted.
Photographers Rolando Aviles and Uri Cortez said they were taking pictures of the event from a neighboring property when three guards approached them and demanded the cameras’ memory cards. When the photographers instead returned to their car to drive away, shots were fired.
“The bullet went between us, missing our heads. If the bullet had been a little more to the left or right, it would have killed one of us,” Aviles told the London Daily Mail. “I said, ‘They’re going to kill us,’ and that’s when I hunched down to cover myself. When the glass broke, that’s when my friend started driving really fast.
“I could have lost my life for the sale of some pictures that Gisele didn’t want published. Are they insane?”
Neither photographer suffered physical injuries in the incident.
Brady denied the account at the time, insisting: “It’s absolute B.S. We found two guys on our property, and we told them to get out. Our security didn’t even have guns. There were no shots fired.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...