NFL fines Marcus Cannon $15,750 for leg whip of Charles Johnson
|11.22.13 at 4:51 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The leg-whip that injured star defensive end Charles Johnson has – as expected – hit Marcus Cannon in the wallet.
The NFL announced Friday they have hit the Patriots starting right tackle with a fine of $15,750 for his play on Johnson in the second half of Monday’s game against Carolina.
The Cannon move came on the second snap of the third quarter as he was trying to compensate for getting beat by Johnson on a running play. The play, shown repeatedly on ESPN during the game, resulted in Johnson being carted off the field, only to return later in the second half. Johnson suffered a sprained MCL in the knee and will miss this weekend’s game against the Dolphins.
Cannon apologized to Johnson in person after the game.
Tom Brady, who dropped an F-bomb tirade on referee Clete Blakeman that was picked up by ESPN microphones, was not fined for confronting the official after Blakeman picked up the flag in the end zone which ended the game. Ryan Mallett was also seen confronting Blakeman for his call.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL