NFL fines Marcus Cannon $15,750 for leg whip of Charles Johnson
|11.22.13 at 4:51 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The leg-whip that injured star defensive end Charles Johnson has – as expected – hit Marcus Cannon in the wallet.
The NFL announced Friday they have hit the Patriots starting right tackle with a fine of $15,750 for his play on Johnson in the second half of Monday’s game against Carolina.
The Cannon move came on the second snap of the third quarter as he was trying to compensate for getting beat by Johnson on a running play. The play, shown repeatedly on ESPN during the game, resulted in Johnson being carted off the field, only to return later in the second half. Johnson suffered a sprained MCL in the knee and will miss this weekend’s game against the Dolphins.
Cannon apologized to Johnson in person after the game.
Tom Brady, who dropped an F-bomb tirade on referee Clete Blakeman that was picked up by ESPN microphones, was not fined for confronting the official after Blakeman picked up the flag in the end zone which ended the game. Ryan Mallett was also seen confronting Blakeman for his call.
2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2014 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick