Patriots practice Friday: Michael Hoomanawanui absent while Brandon Spikes not in shells
|11.22.13 at 11:40 am ET|
FOXBORO — The Patriots practiced in sweats and shells in the cold rain on the upper grass fields Friday morning as they made final preparations for Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos this Sunday night at Gillette.
Weather could be a factor Sunday night but rain is not expected. Game time temperatures are expected to be in the low 20s and drop into the teens by the end. Wind is expected to be a factor with gusts out of the northwest expected at 25 MPH.
There were two significant absences during the media portion of practice, which including only stretching. Back-up quarterback Ryan Mallett, who has been playing the role of Manning during practice this week, was not seen. Mallett did arrive at practice as the media were escorted off the field
The only confirmed absence was tight end Michael Hoomanawanui. Running back Brandon Bolden was seen on the sidelines while the rest of the team was in running and stretching drills.
Bolden was removed this week from the injury report after dealing with a knee issue for most of the season. Mallett was not on Thursday’s injury report while Hoomanawanui injured his knee against Carolina and hasn’t practiced all week.
Linebacker Brandon Spikes was one of the very last players spotted coming out to practice and he was not in shells, only sweats, spending most of the time during stretching talking with linebackers coach Pepper Johnson. Spikes has been listed all week as limited in practice with a knee injury.
Also in attendance at Friday’s practice was the TV crew from NBC, including Cris Collinsworth and Michele Tafoya, as the game will be on their air at 8:30 p.m.
The team will conduct a walkthrough on Saturday before taking on the Broncos Sunday night at Gillette Stadium.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason